- Global Health
- Health Evaluative Methodologies
- Behavioural Science
- Cardiovascular Science
Mike Rayner Recent Publications
- Rayner M, Scarborough P, and Kaur A (2013) Nutrient profiling and the regulation of marketing to children. Possibilities and pitfalls Appetite, 62:232 - 235.
- Allender S, Scarborough P, Keegan T, and Rayner M (2012) Relative deprivation between neighbouring wards is predictive of coronary heart disease mortality after adjustment for absolute deprivation of wards. J Epidemiol Community Health, 66:803–808.
- McCartney D, Scarborough P, Webster P, and Rayner M (2012) Trends in social inequalities for premature coronary heart disease mortality in Great Britain, 1994-2008: a time trend ecological study. BMJ Open, 2.
- Mytton OT, Clarke D, and Rayner M (2012) Taxing unhealthy food and drinks to improve health. BMJ, 344:e2931.
- Nichols M, Scarborough P, Allender S, and Rayner M (2012) What is the optimal level of population alcohol consumption for chronic disease prevention in England? Modelling the impact of changes in average consumption levels BMJ Open, 2.
|Contact address||Rosemary Rue Building, Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LF|
|Department||Department of Public Health|
Burden of cardiovascular disease, health promotion, public health nutrition
From 1986 to 1993 Mike was Senior Research Officer for the Coronary Prevention Group - at the time the leading national voluntary organisation concerned with the prevention of coronary heart disease in the UK. Prior to that Mike was a Wellcome Research Fellow at the Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine at the University of Oxford.
He is the Director of the British Heart Foundation Health Promotion Research Group which he founded in 2004. The Group is based in the Department of Public Health at the University of Oxford.
In addition Mike works closely with governmental and public interest organisations concerned with public health in the UK and internationally. He is currently Chair of Sustain: the alliance for better food and farming in the UK, a trustee of the UK Health Forum, and Chair of the Nutrition Expert Group of the European Heart Network
He is an ordained priest in the Church of England and Assistant Curate at St Matthew’s Church, Oxford.
Smolina K, Wright F, Rayner M, Goldacre M. The determinants of the decline in mortality from acute myocardial infarction in England between 1999 and 2007: a linked national database study. British Medical Journal 2012;344:d8059.
Scarborough P, Allender S, Clarke D, Wickramasinghe K, Rayner M. Modelling the health impact of environmentally sustainable dietary scenarios in the UK. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2012; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2012.34.